Friday, November 4, 2011

I want a dairy cow



I am not lying. I have decided that I want to own a dairy cow. I want to drink its milk, eat the butter, sour cream, cheese and whatever else I can make with its milk.


I know it will be hard work. I am not naive to the fact that I may get less sleep tending to the cow than I do tending to my children but I think that the cost/health benefits that can come with using the resources a cow/farm can give far outweigh the sleep lost.


(my husband is behind me shaking his head, unbeliever, I will show him!)


I also want chickens, pigs, and horses. We will eat some of every animal except the horse. We'll use the horse for glue . . . j/k.

2 comments:

Brian Jessica Rowlan said...

We have a milk goat, they are smaller and a lot easier to take care of, and to milk. There milk however is not as good as a cow. We also have lots of pork that will be ready in 4-5 months, let me know if you want one, or half. I am excited for new years, let me know if people are willing to come this far

Anonymous said...

I agree with the goat. My dad was a dairy farmer, and he says the same thing - require less space, easier to take care of, eat less, etc.

As for the milk flavor, if you feed them alfalfa/grains (dairy cow food) then the milk is wonderful. Most people let them roam and eat weeds. If a cow did that their milk wouldn't taste as good either.