Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What to write, that is the true question

I know I need an update but I'm not sure what to write that would interest anyone. 

I find I am either incredibly sarcastic, a bit negative, or overly opinionated. All these things typically turn people off, cause them to be defensive, or encourage destructive conversation. I need to avoid going down that path plus I want this to be uplifting yet not cheesy or unrealistic. 

The number one thing that has dominated my life lately is the impending arrival of number 8. He's coming after 4 girls! My brain is swirling with how this change in dynamics will affect our family and how I can protect him from barbies, unwelcome make overs, coddling, etc. Knowing my girls's personalities I am concerned that he will feel like he has 5 mothers. Yet, I don't want to overly protect him. He needs to learn how to handle his own situations and deal with his own problems. 

I remember when we were to have our first girl after three boys. I wasn't nearly this concerned about her. Sure I was a bit more sensitive and protective during the newborn age but she quickly asserted her independence and showed those boys that she can hang with them and she hasn't backed down. I think a big difference was that the boys couldn't care less about a baby in the house regardless of the gender. But these little girls are so excited for a baby brother. They are very (s)motherly. I don't want to discourage their instincts but I also have a boy that needs to be raised to be a man. 

Where is the balance? Should I sit back and see where this goes or do I attempt to take preventative measures? (I don't even know what kind of preventative measures I could realistically take!) 

No comments: